February 28, 2012

Historical Minsk

The card shows the Church of Saints Simon and Helen, located on the Independence Square in Minsk



Known in the local vernacular as the Red Church, the city’s best-known Catholic building was constructed between 1908 and 1910 on the orders of a rich Polish family upon the premature death of their two children after whom the church is dedicated. The two smaller towers are named after the offspring, while the larger one represents the grief of the parents.

Distance: 1,332 km (828 miles)
Travel time: 9 days

No comments

Post a Comment